Monday, June 29, 2009

Knickers, Knickers, Knickers

Working with two and three year olds on a daily basis means that knickers are a fairly popular conversation point, whether it be them sharing which latest super hero features on the front panel or them simply quoting ‘Well I don’t like them, just cos, well they always give me a wedgie, undies do.’



I never thought knickers would feature so prominently outside of my work life until this week…………

With the rain clouds consistently delivering on their promise and providing us with a constant drizzle, it has been near impossible to keep up with the mountains of washing that magically appear around our house. As a result, clothing supplies have been running low, which proved to cause some trouble for CH.

Whilst he can easily manage to organize a clean kit for each day of the week, organization doesn’t extend to anything outside of cycling clothing. Each morning this week I have emerged from my slumber to be greeted with the mild panic of CH as he returns from his ride to discover that he has no dry or clean underpants left. The door opens as he makes his march out to the clothesline to retrieve a pair of knickers and places them in front of the heater on full blast to try and dry them in time to get to work. One would think you may learn after this happening once……..but this scenario was repeated daily with CH, who had it down to a fine art by Friday.

He survived the week without too much drama, until Saturday………….With wet weather, busy weeks and a slight lack of organization, we weren’t exactly spoilt for choice in the underwear department and CH has no choice but to drag out his very last pair of underpants and don ‘The Brown Hornets’, as they eventually ended up being called. Whilst at a race and changing from his kit back into normal clothes ‘The Brown Hornets’ were spotted by some of his Bike Buddies (BB’s) who were highly offended by the colour of these underpants and voiced this loud and clear through creating numerous ‘nicknames’ for the underpants and having a dig at CH. After being the ‘butt’ of a number of jokes due to his unfortunate undie choice, CH couldn’t get those knickers off quick enough when he got home.
I, of course was still wondering whether I should be more concerned about CH’s underwear choice or the fact that his BB’s cared so much about what CH was wearing under his clothes?

The weekend came to it’s grand finale with us getting ready to head out to a party. As I stood at the mirror blow drying my hair, CH appears in the reflection……….I look up and see his jaw drop, before crying out “We have a hair dryer! I can’t believe I have been drying my undies with the heater all week when we have a hair dryer. The hair dryer would have done a way better job!’

I guess we live and learn?

1 comment: